Every girl needs a versatile holiday skirt. At least, that's what this fabric seemed to whisper, sitting on the shelf at the Needle Shop. "I am the perfect color, have a little shine, and ooh, ooh, look at my subtle polka dots!". Fine. I was sold. I scooped up a yard and a quarter and headed home to make this festive frock.


I knew I wanted this skirt to be a "mini" since it was going to be worn with leggings (most likely fleece lined) or tights all the time.  I wanted a fit and flare silhouette, but didn't have much fabric, so I went with the Deer & Doe Chardon skirt (made previously here). This fabric was perfect to hold the structure of the pleats. 


Here are the details:

Pattern: Chardon Skirt / Jupe by Deer & Doe

Materials: Jacquard Twill in Burgundy Dot from The Needle Shop, Interfacing, Invisible zipper

Sizing / Fit Alterations: Cut size 42 - let out front pleat and side seams slightly for a perfect fit.

For mini length, I cut the skirt at the "contrast" line instead of the lower edge hem.



Construction Notes:

Understitch the waistband facing - it will help it lay smoother

Hand sewing required: tacking the facing down to the zipper tape, tack waistband facing at side seams

The pattern calls for a 10" regular zipper, but I used a 9" invisible zip


New technique - Blind Hem. 

My sewing machine has a special presser foot for this that I have never tried. My first attempt was reaaaaally bad, but I think the second try looks nice! Not perfect, by any means, but it makes me want to give it a go on future garments.


The Verdict: 

I really like this skirt pattern, and adore this fabric! Perfect for this time of year. I decided to pair it up with a couple options for photos, and ended up liking all of them. The ones above are just with a pale pink tee. I also could wear it with a silk tank:


Or a cozy sweater:


Or just a simple black tee with a statement necklace, which is how I wore it for a recent family Christmas party, when I got an awesome sewing book! Famous Frocks: The Little Black Dress by Dolin Bliss O'Shea. There are some great patterns included - can't wait to try them out.

So, any sewing related presents on your Christmas wish list this year? Have you made any holiday attire? Sewn any Deer and Doe recently? Be sure to add it to our flickr pool! And thanks for reading! :)