Hello there readers! This just may be THE TOP of the summer - it's got everything... white knit, blue anchors, full peplum, tiny sleeves, back cut out, tie bow, lining... yep, this will be hard to beat in Sally's closet. The fabric was swapped to my by the awesome Sue from Sewin' Steady as part of  the Spring Sewing Swap hosted by Kestrel Makes. Basically, you are paired with a sewing buddy and send each other a package of sewing goodies! Check out this awesome package!


It includes the adorable new Tap Shorts pattern by Katy and Laney, an awesome card and button from the V&A, two amazing fabrics, and some vintage notions! The white and blue knit anchor fabric immediately inspired me to sew something up for our Independence Day (USA) on July 4th! Paired with a red cardigan, it was quite patriotic looking ;) Here is what I created...




The Pattern: Butterick See and Sew 5837, modified to peplum top

If you've been around awhile, you may remember this striped dress from early last summer. Still a favorite, I decided to replicate it as a peplum top version. Here was my process:

- Lengthen bodice (and lining) by 3", continuing seam line as drawn so it nips in more at the waist
- Sewed top as instructed, except finishing the lining shoulder seams... slipstitch a knit?? Weird. Instead I "stitched in the ditch" along the existing shoulder seam, catching the lining seam underneath - works for me!
- Instead of creating elastic casing / gathered skirt, I drafted a circle peplum using some math and a dinner plate, and attached it at the waist line - easy peasy lemon squeezy

There is one thing I'm not super happy about. In my original version, I kind of slapped together the lining and main fabric how I figured it out, and looking back, that way seemed to work better than the actual instructions. In this version, there is a lot of pulling, and the sleeve "caps" are kind of stiff and bulky. It doesn't have quite the same drape as the dress, even though I'm pretty sure the main fabric is the same (from Girl Charlee). I may unpick the bodice and lining at the sleeves, trim back the lining to more of a tank top shape, and re-hem them separately, then also stitch in the ditch to attach the side seams of the bodice and lining.

Lining fabric was white interlock knit from Joann's - it is soft, but does not have great recovery. 


Go ahead and check out that print matching on the center back seam... :)
Could it be more of a gorgeous day?!? Love the summer! And ducks!
And that's pretty much all there is to it!!! Thanks again, Sue, for the awesome fabric! I hope you liked your package! I'm working on those tap shorts next! ;)

Have YOU ever made a garment where the instructions didn't work out as well as what was in your own head? Haha, or have you done a sewing swap? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below, and thanks for reading! :)